Thursday, May 7, 2015

Never Give Up!

Illustration: Okalinichenko / dollarphotoclub.com
I think we are all tempted on occasion to just give up. When that temptation knocks on my door, I like to think of Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg.

I recently heard violinist Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg play with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. Not only is Salerno-Sonnenberg an internationally acclaimed artist, but she is widely considered to "own" the Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 1 (in A minor, Opus 99). She played it that evening with all the intelligence, passion, and physical stamina required to deliver a virtuoso presentation.

Nadja began her career in the early 1980s as a prodigy, winner of prestigious violin competitions. In 1994, she cut the little finger on her left hand while preparing holiday dinner. Following reattachment and during recovery she re-fingered pieces to avoid using the little finger. She continued to perform. Then depression set in. Salerno-Sonnenberg considered giving up and tried to commit suicide. Ultimately she found the personal resources she needed to re-engage, resume performing, build a recording label and direct the New Century Chamber Orchestra in San Francisco.

I make it a point to hear Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg whenever she is in Denver and she inspires me to never give up. Who inspires you? Send me an email and let me know.
Barbara Yost  

No comments:

Post a Comment